4 July 2009

Can stand the heat, but cut down on the chocolate?

Yesterday, I had chocolate chip cookies for breakfast. It was the first time I'd done that in a while (well, four weeks anyway) - and I really couldn't eat nearly as many of them as I usually would. I was wondering if it was the heat was cutting down my sugar/ cocoa tolerance; although if it was the effect is clearly only marginal as I managed to eat more of them later, and a German friend bought me a box of Merci chocolates a couple of days ago and the husband and I were happily munching our way through them in front of the TV last night as well.

However, it is true that eating chocolate even in 'normal' quantities (I'm thinking standard-sized bar, here) can actually make me feel a bit odd. If I go super-size, I often feel really quite odd. At one level, you could argue that's part of the point - but I wonder if that might be how I, eventually, kick the habit. I used to binge-drink, but gradually came to the realisation that it made me feel bad enough that it was a risk that just wasn't worth taking. That took about 18 years, so if I start now, I guess I might have my chocolate consumption under control shortly before my fifty-sixth birthday.

It's cooler now, anyway. There's no tennis on that I actually want to watch, and the evenings are beginning to draw in. I'm thinking of declaring autumn, sometime around the middle of next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment